Foundation of the Bavarian State Collection of Zoology. Housing of the collections together with the holdings of the court and state library in the “Wilhelminum”, a former Jesuit college in today’s center of Munich
Separation of the Staatsbibliothek, which has its own building in Munich’s Ludwigstrasse.
Development of an independent zoological library from the libraries of conservators, adjuncts and assistants of the ZSM
Co-administration of the library of the Munich Entomological Society
Co-administration of the library of the Ornithological Society of Bavaria
Construction of today’s library by director Dr Walter Forster, a passionate entomologist, who greatly increased the holdings with great dedication and with the help of the exchange of journals. He also developed the system according to which the holdings – usually arranged according to the zoological system – are structured and set up.
Moving the library to Ohlstadt, where it survives the Second World War unscathed.
Provisional accommodation in Nymphenburg Palace
The library receives its first own librarian
Accommodation in a modern new building in Obermenzing, where all holdings are placed in an air-conditioned magazine in a compact system. The old, valuable works are in a separate, enclosed part.
Directors of the library
1954 – 1974 Gisela Mauermayer
1975 – 1988 Ingrid Weigel
since 1989 Juliane Diller